Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Civil Prayer" repost

For a while now I have been wanting to write a post on the controversy of ministering in a pluralistic environment, particularly the subject of prayer and praying in the name of Jesus.

Chaplain Paul Lynn, a brother whom I have come to know through his blog and emails and even though we have not met in person - a good friend, wrote on this very subject on his blog (please visit the link)

worth my salt - civil prayer


Since accepting this call to the Army Chaplaincy (note- a calling by God, not a personal decision) I have met with questions, concerns and even criticism over this subject.  One thing that needs to be clarified - the Army Chaplaincy is a pluralistic environment, not pluralistic religion.  My duty as a chaplain is first and foremost to serve God by serving the soldiers, secondly is to provide for the freedom of religion to all soldiers.  Is this a contradiction?  I believe no; God gave us the freewill to choose to follow or believe in Him because He desires us to come to know Him out of love.  Should we mere humans be any different?

Father Joseph O’Donnell, a retired Vietnam Chaplain describes the chaplain's ministry this way; “he must have the willingness to accept people where they are in their understanding of life and faith, not where the chaplain would like them to be. No matter how firm I am in my approach to God, I cannot have the last word for anyone else.”

This past weekend my home church held an ordination and farewell ceremony for me and my family.  One of the songs that was played during the service was "They will know we are Christians by our Love".  This is how I want to be identified.  I want every soldier in my care; Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, or whatever their belief, to know that I love them enough that they will feel comfortable in coming to me for help or guidance without the fear of criticism or admonishment - God will take care of the rest.  He put me here in the first place and I trust Him to know what He is doing.

For God and Country

0 comments: