Thursday, December 20, 2012

A New Begining, A New End - Part I




  A few weeks ago I had a shift in what I was called preach; in the past I was being led to teach love of our fellow man, the unsaved in our world who need desperately to hear of God’s Love before it is too late.  I was saddened by how many who have turned away from God because of the harsh treatment they have received from those who call themselves loving Christians. That view still stands – we must represent God, Jesus so they will be drawn to us.

  A few months ago, while away on a training exercise I had extra time to spend in prayer and commune with God.  I am seeing a drastic shift in our country, a shift further and further away from the Truth – the Truth of Christ and sadly it is those who have chosen to call themselves Christians who are allowing it to happen.  We are more vocal about the threat of losing our right to bear arms than we are about the fact that God is almost gone from our country, the true reason for all that is wrong.  In those quiet times I had with God while in the high desert of Washington State it became apparent that I must pick up the "Staff" of my role as Pastor and speak Truth to those who feel comfortable in their faith rather than truly being a follower of Christ.  For some that faith that you have will kill you 

  You see one of the marks of our church is the sole satisfaction found in a relationship with God – anything else does not satisfy.  In fact if God is not the center of your life, your pleasure, your happiness, your relationships then I ask that you question your true faith  -  is it in Him or yourself.  The Biblical Truth is that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. The basis for this is deep, and the implications are as high as heaven and as long as eternity (salvation and death).

  It is like what Paul writes in Philippians 1:20-21; his  “eager expectation and hope is that I (he) will not be ashamed about anything, but that now as always, with all boldness, Christ will be highly honored in my body, whether by life or by death”.  His passion is that Christ be magnified in his death.  Paul’s explanation is that for him “death is gain.”  The reason death is gain is that to die is “to depart and be with Christ” (verse 23).  You cannot have that kind of faith if you do not find full satisfaction in Christ alone. In believing that Christ is magnified by your being so satisfied in Him that leaving everything else behind in death is not loss but gain. So Paul says in Philippians 3:8, “I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.”

  The implications of this are extreme; that we should pursue our joy in God - Should! Not may.  The main business of our hearts is maximizing our satisfaction in God. Not our satisfaction in his gifts, no matter how good, but in him.

Some Scripture and principles as to why this shift in our daily lives is necessary 

  We are commanded to pursue satisfaction -   Psalm 100:2: “Serve the Lord with gladness!” Philippians 4:4: “Rejoice in the Lord always.” Psalm 37:4: “Delight yourself in the Lord.”

  We are threatened if we don’t pursue satisfaction in God -   Deuteronomy 28:47-48: “Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart . . . therefore you shall serve your enemies.”
The nature of faith teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God; Hebrews 11:6: “Without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”

  The nature of evil teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God -   Jeremiah 2:12-13: “Be appalled, O heavens, at this; be shocked, be utterly desolate, declares the Lord, for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.”

  The nature of conversion teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God -   Matthew 13:44: “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.”

  The call for self-denial teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God -   Mark 8:34-36: “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?”

  The demand to love people teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God -   Hebrews 12:2: “For the joy that was set before him [Jesus] endured the cross.” Acts 20:35: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

  The demand to glorify God teaches the pursuit of satisfaction in God -   Philippians 1:20-21: “It is my eager expectation and hope that . . . Christ will be glorified in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (final and total satisfaction in him).

This is why my last sermon was offensive to some;
  To have your faith, your eternal salvation questioned is only offensive to those who hold closer their personal pursuits and personal satisfaction over satisfaction that only comes from God.

  I must also admit that my current and future teachings have a personal eternity at stake, you see the Bible says that the “Teacher” will answer to a higher standard in the end (James 3:1).  If I do not call upon you to repent and turn solely to God then I will also answer for it, and my heart will break for those of you who do not and perish rather than spend eternity in Heaven with our Lord

  Over the course of this series – and it may be a series that lasts the rest of my life – I will expand on the many areas of our lives that we must make HIS.  Many of these posts will be my sermon for the week, many will be extra.  But I am in prayer that God will give me all of them and that you, family, friends, will hear and make sure your salvation is secure.  
  Perhaps if we all become more stalwart in our Faith then maybe there will be shift in our country and America will remain “One Nation Under God” – perhaps even God will give us more time to draw more people to Him before the end (the end for those who do not KNOW Him).

 God Bless

0 comments: