Saturday, February 13, 2010

Diversity

One thing that I have missed about the Military is the diversity of the soldiers that we serve with.  In the past two weeks I have heard sermons from Southern Baptist, Seven Day Adventist, Mormon, Jewish, Catholic, and Pentecostal.  My Chaplain Class has White students, Black students, students from Korea, Africa and Israel.  We cover all four points of the United States.  And yet, even in a very critical and prejudicial sect of culture - religion - we are here under a common bond - a shared goal - to serve all the men and women of the Army.

We are taught a word here, pluralism.  In many circles this word is sacrilege, it opposes the very essence of religion.  But here in the Army culture it represent the purpose of God's creation in us.  He loved us so much that He gave us the free will to choose Him or to not to choose Him.  Here we are free to worship Him in the way that we are led too.

For the past few years I have been submersed in a very white culture, I have even faced the sting of bigotry myself as I tried to stand up against racism, a disease that still exists in this very melting pot of America yet has no place in Christianity.  To me no way a person who calls himself a Christian can have these very sinful feeling towards a fellow human.

Yes, I am being harsh here, but hey - this is my blog and I am an Officer of the United States Army.  I have made an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" and prejudice and bigotry is an enemy of our constitution.  

Sorry I am running off on a tangent with this blog, but I have missed the Army and I did not realize how much until I returned.  And it is because of the culture that exists here.  We Are the "All Americans"

0 comments: